This has been a very fucked up year for a lot of people in this country and around the world. With that being the case, I am choosing to go in a different direction with my thought process.
I am listing 23 things that made me happy in 2020. Let’s focus on the positive for a bit.
- My cousin proposed to his super amazing girlfriend during the very first minute of the new year.
- Journaling every day which allowed me to focus on very positive things.
- Taking my daughter to see Brahms: The Boy II in an actual movie theater on February 29, two weeks before the country shutdown.
- My Daughter and I watching a Bucks/Lakers game then the new Hillary Clinton docuseries on March 6.
- My Daughter turning 200 months old and me filming a video of her in the same manner as one I filmed in 2011 when she turned 100 months old.
- My 43rd birthday on April 1st and all the love and thoughtfulness that I received in the form of calls, texts, voicemails, online messages and comments from tons of people.
- Launching my daily writing habit on April 4th which resulted in a 129,000 word manuscript, about 200 articles written and a renewed level of focus and productivity that I’ve never had.
- Michael Jordan’s hilarious responses to former basketball rivals and their comments about him in the amazing docuseries, The Last Dance.
- Watching Scoob on Amazon Prime with Daughter on May 15th since the shutdown was in full effect and theaters were closed.
- Daughter getting me hooked on The Walking Dead (causing me to binge watch all 9 seasons available on Netflix), then 13 Reasons Why.
- The unbelievably thoughtful and loving cards that I received from my daughter and her younger siblings on Father’s Day.
- Launching my daily reading habit at the end of June with 5 minutes of reading per day, which increased to its current 1 hour of reading per day (I’ve read 19 physical books so far).
- Launching my daily audiobook habit which has resulted in 22 audiobooks “read” so far since June.
- Achieving what was a huge, self imposed challenge for me during the month of June: Zero alcohol for the entire month. First time in 20 years.
- Somehow managed to achieve an even more difficult, self imposed challenge in the month of July: Zero fast food (including all restaurants) for the entire month. Never happened in my history (past age 5) previous to that.
- Spending the morning and afternoon with Daughter on her 17th birthday on July 10th. Awesome day.
- Announcing my “retirement” from drinking alcohol, effective September 1st.
- Watching my daughter do an excellent job during her job interview via Zoom on September 12th. She was hired that day and started her first ever job six days later.
- Finally went to the gym to work out on the morning of September 21st for the first time in more than a year. That led to a consistent commitment which has now become 61 workouts in 14 weeks (5 days per week for the past 10 weeks) at the YMCA and 65 workouts overall.
- Invested in myself multiple times in buying important digital courses.
- Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump in the presidential election.
- Watching my daughter evolve as a young woman in the three months since she started her job.
- Challenged myself to launch my podcast, web series, digital course, email list, and publish 100 articles — all in the month of December!
What about you? How many awesome things happened in your life that made you smile this year? Leave your answers in the comments!